Monday, February 1, 2010




Here is another blast from the past! This is a sun room I did for the St. Louis Symphony Designer Show House in 1998. I loved this room and had fun doing it. I chose a calm tan for the walls and then had the ceiling lacquered a fresh, spring green. Sometimes when a room has odd wall exposures, such as lots of doors and windows, it is nice to put the color on the ceiling and keep the walls neutral. This also brings the eye up. The custom candle light fixture is one I had made out of a decorative plant box. Looked great at night with the candles light! I chose white linen for the slipcovers and upholstery to keep the light and airy theme going and then finished with antique pieces form my own collections. A chinoiserie desk and table added sophistication and the Chinese wedding basket kept things global. But the most important elements in the room were the fabrics! Yards and yards of creamy white sheer draped the windows and created a welcoming, soft atmosphere while the crewel fabric in greens with black and brown brought nature inside.

The only thing I don't care for in these shots is the styling. I was out of town when the national magazine came to photograph for publication and they did the styling without me. It is way overloaded with plants and "stuff" giving it a messy look. The room as finished by me was cleaned and simpler with a classical edge. I learned from this experience to always be there for photo shoots!

No comments:

Post a Comment