Friday, January 29, 2010



I was doing some cleaning and reorganizing at my office yesterday and came across some photos of old work that had been published in various magazines. I'll share some of them in the next few days, I enjoy taking a trip down memory lane!

This room was one I did for the St. Louis Realtors Designer Showhouse in 2000. Interesting story, I had done many Designer Showhouses in the preceding years and always but a lot of time, planning and thought (and money!) into creating a room but this time I wasn't planning on participating but received a call from one of the organizers saying someone had dropped out and they had this big empty room, could I please do SOMETHING last minute. I quickly got into the room, painted the horizontal stripes on the wall exactly to match my living room banded linen curtains from home and then loaded up a truck of my personal furniture, artwork, accessories and put this room together!

Everything in the room was from my own home, just rearranged and mixed up! I loved the end result and it was published 4 times on both local and national publications. What is especially fun for me today is looking at the photos and seeing what is still with me and what has moved on to new homes. the gorgeous Fornisetti sun prints are now in a dramatic dining room in North Carolina, the 19th century Wedgwood black basalt bowl on the low table was added to a clients collection here in St. Louis, the curved inside leg low table is in a grouping in another home as night stands. But for the most part, what you see is still with me. Actually, the three tier Art Deco table I did sell to a dealer when I moved, regretted selling and when I saw it again 5 years later in a gallery, bought it back!

I feel this room is still very current and chic a decade later and that is the goal of all my design work. Timeless, elegant, simple. Being "current" and "on trend" has it's merit but the trick is to do it without being a cliche that will be dull and dated in 5 to 10 years. I feel I got it right here!

No comments:

Post a Comment