Friday, July 1, 2011

Love this house!



















I saw a feature on this house in Easthampton, NY and fell in love. It follows a basic concept I would want to use when I build my dream home: the house is for me, not for showing off to the neighborhood.












The arched roof line of the house is reminiscent of Quonset huts form the WWII era, something I have always found fascinating. I really minimizes the bulk of the house and creates a very soft, unconventional feeling inside. The really brilliant part of this house is the half you don't see. It is built into the side of the hill the house sits atop. Utilizing this subterranean space is the same as a "walkout basement" quite common in many conventional homes but the use of the stairwell as light well and really treating it as main living space makes all the difference. Plus, super energy efficient.












For me, the only downside to this style is the lacking of flat, vertical walls for artwork. And heaven knows, I need that. I would have to get creative in my hanging but that has never stopped me from having too many things on my walls.












This is a gorgeous home, I want it NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment