Wednesday, August 5, 2009




I was in the Miami Airport today on my way south to the islands when I was struck by the unusual artwork in the D concourse. I've been through this airport several times before but must have been concentrating on getting to my flight. Or people watching, I love to do that in airports! Anyway, I had noticed the gorgeous light terrazo floors throughout with the bronze inlays featuring various flora and seashells embedded in it. Very pretty, very striking. However, they also have these very large installations of mounted fish and sea life done in circles and spirals on the upper walls. Very large and dimensional. I must say, even though I know (assume?) they are not real it still struck me as odd and slightly macabre. I certainly appreciate the fantastic colors and shapes that they have and love to look at them but this over the top multiple setting using these creatures as a geometric decorating motif just seems weird. I do not enjoy it. I would love to hear your thoughts on these pictures. Leave a comment! Enjoy your week!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...first, let me congratulate you on being able to look beyond the myriad of people at the Miami Airport. That, in and of itself, is a feat. Now for the sculptures-kind of remind me of tacky religious art; like a Jesus on a cross made out of pinecones wouldn't be so out of place on that wall. Or like a grandma's bathroom. In isolation, several of them are kind of interesting and actually pretty. Take the little snowflake-like silver one on the bottom right, for instance. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete