Wednesday, August 19, 2009


I've had some people ask me about the room photograph on my title page. This is a perfect example of quick, simple changes making a big impact! This living room is in a condo in Clayton and belongs to a young, professional bachelor who owned the condo, the off white sofa and chair and not much else! While he was traveling one month I was asked to come in and give a quick "spruce". I started by adding a classic - the Noguchi coffee table! This is a never-go-wrong piece of furniture I love. Designed by artist Isamu Noguchi in 1947 this table endures as an amazing piece of sculpture as well as a table. I used this table in one of my very first jobs after design school and apprenticeships in 1988 in a home in Glen Ellyn, IL. I remember I paired it with an off-white wool damask sofa and an antique Italian painted console with a marble top! Eclectic from the beginning!

After adding the table I moved on to the sleek leather chaise for more seating and an open feel, the Phillipe Stark Louis Ghost chair in black and simple wood and metal tables. I had the VERY unattractive light the builder had installed in the middle of the room taken out and moved the electrical box over the end table and added, yes, you guessed it, another classic! A George Nelson Bubble lamp. Iconic and functional!

To add some character and history to the room, I found the large antique map of St. Louis on a closet and framed it. The two antique Italian prints were purchased by the young man on a trip so I paired them with two black and white photographs by re known St. Louis artist Ken Konchel. I love his work and have a lot of it in my home and office. The juxtaposition of the antique prints and the modern photography adds a lot of personality and brings some of the owner's history into the room. A room can be designed and decorated by me but it needs to BELONG to the resident!

I finished off the room with kilim rug throw pillows, again, for texture and history and some simple shaped accessories.

I love this room! I really feel it has a simple, clean look with a distinct personality that reflects the homeowner. Last time I checked, he is happy as well!

By the way, please check out Ken's amazing work at www.kenkonchelphoto.com! He is a St. Louis art star!

No comments:

Post a Comment