Tuesday, July 14, 2009




I was watching a show on HGTV featuring first time home buyers this evening. A cute young couple in Lansing, Michigan were looking for their first home and viewed three options. To my delight, they chose the one I chose for them. A 50's tri-level ranch, ONE OWNER(!), all original kitchens and baths. Yes, it was hideous to the eye, bad wallpaper, bad carpet, worse draperies!! BUT.... fantastic space and light. And the one owner made everything in clean, pristine condition. So they would be able to move in, start with some cosmetic changes they could tackle themselves and work through the bigger changes as time goes by.
Doug and I were watching this show together and, of course, had different opinions of what the couple would and should do. As a designer, I am really able to look past the obvious stuff that hits people right in the face and see the space and possibilities. I always recommend to people that when shopping for a home, hire a designer to go look with you. For a few hours time you can get a completely different perspective that will help you make a major decision. Why short change yourself from the beginning?
I love to look at homes and see what can be, not what is!

Have a greaat evening! I'm posting a couple of photos we took at the Missouri Botanical garden last week, enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Trevor and I watched the same show and were shocked that hunky hunky husband Shane got his way (and chose the makeover house) over the likely objections of his way too enthusiastic wife, who was ready to make babies now in the turnkey home. They did a great job with a little in renovating their space. -- Curtis

    ReplyDelete