Thursday, July 16, 2009





Summertime and the living is easy! I love that Gershwin song! I also love a screen porch. There is nothing like the nice summer air, sounds from the garden, the smell of grass and no bugs! I recently was asked to give a long-time clients porch a quick "spruce". We had recovered her vintage wicker furniture and gave it a fresh coat of black paint a couple of years ago. In preparing for her daughters at home wedding I also hung a few new things on the walls and just cleaned the space up. I found a couple of furniture pieces in the basement and had them painted green and handpainted details added including a portrait of her beloved Golden Retriever sitting by the pool! But this year she asked me to go a step further and make it as cozy, warm and inviting as I had made the interior of her home.
I started by painting the ceiling a sunny yellow with a glossy finish. This allowed the light to reflect a warmer tone instead of the cooler tone reflected of the blue slate tile floor. Next I added an outdoor sisal like rug, some red cache pots, a red magazine metal rack, a new black urn planter and some woven wicker baskets for storage. I then found some great nature prints to hang on the wall reflecting the clients love of nature, bugs, ect. This grouping over the painted chest really makes a bold statement and gives presence. Finally, white sheer panels trimmed in black cording add a nice romantic feel and soften the room.
When the client returned form her trip she quickly let me know how much she loves the finished project. And her husband has been using th porch every morning for reading after a dip in the pool. I really love it when people enjoy the work I do for them and then use it everyday. Great rooms are for living in, not just to show off.

No comments:

Post a Comment