Wednesday, July 22, 2009



This is a fantastic old home in the historic Central West End neighborhood of St. Louis. I've always been intriqued by the house, such a strong, bold form. Usually I like houses with a cleaner, more federal style facade but this has something special. I think it could really be a smashing facade with a few simple changes. Currently, the bulk is overwhelming with very little detail for relief. I would add some white painted American Gothic Revival style railings to the two side protrusions and then again over the second floor balcony. Painting the entire house a rich cream color instead of the pinkish washed out brick would give it presence as well. All too often I run across people who can't see possibilities in a home but that's ok, that's my job! Remember, there are many more ways to add charm and style to a facade than just adding shutters or windowboxes. Sometimes the architecture needs some boost. By the way, this home is on the market, anyone up for the challenge, call me!

No comments:

Post a Comment